Own Boat Tuition
We understand that sometimes you want to learn in the familiar environment of your own boat with people you know. Our instructors can teach you anything from just a day’s instruction to a full RYA course while focusing on your own individual requirements.
Instruction can be arranged any time that is suitable for you for a minimum of one day.
€220 per day up to two people.
€30 per day for each additional crew member.
There will be an extra charge to cover the instructor’s travel from Malta to Gozo and you will be responsible for feeding the instructor throughout the training. If you have booked in any tuition please make sure that you carry the basic equipment which will be needed.
Own Boat Tuition Check List:
Equipment list for Own Boat Tuition
- Bilge pump (manual as well as electric)
- Radar reflector
- Flares for the waters in which you will use your boat
- Fire extinguishers and fire blanket
- Lifejackets (with harness) plus safety strops
- Liferaft (not a necessity for the Solent)
- Horse shoe buoy(s) with light
- Dan buoy
- Man overboard recovery equipment
- VHF Radio
- Navigational equipment (Almanac, charts, plotter, dividers and GPS)
- First Aid kit
- Mooring warps and fenders
- Spare fuel
- Tool kit
- Depth and speed
- Engine spars – fuel/oil filters, drive belt, impeller spare oil
Own boat tuition Terms and conditions
The owner is considered to be the ‘skipper’ of the vessel at all times and is responsible for the vessel, the provisioning and fuel and for ensuring the vessel is fully insured, sea worthy and with all boat papers in date and onboard to satisfy the local transport authority and maritime law of the country in which the training is taking place. If any accidents occur onboard during training the claim is to be made against the insurance of the boat. Malta Sailing Academy shall not be liable for any incidents or accidents onboard. The owner must notify their insurance company that there will be a qualified instructor onboard delivering tuition but the owner remains the skipper at all times. It is also agreed that the owners insurance is fully comprehensive and covers all aspects of normal marine insurance for the area in which the skipper is expected to sail.