Transport Malta Nautical Licence
All Maltese nationals wishing to operate a power driven vessel must hold a Transport Malta Nautical Licence. You must hold a Nautical Licence if:
- You wish to operate a vessel with an engine of 30Hp or over
- You have a vessel with more than one engine whose total power is 30Hp or over.
- Your vessel is less than 24 meters length
- You would like to operate a power-driven vessel within 12 Nautical miles of the Maltese coast
We offer courses in both English and Maltese, in various localities around Malta.
As of March 2016 the course schedule had changed to reflect the change in syllabus issued by Transport Malta on 17 February 2016.
First Aid and Fire Safety Sessions will include basic theory with demonstrations.
Theory sessions involve working through various laws that relate to using a vessel around local bays and on the open sea, safety equipment/issues, basic navigation, high speed operation and engine care/maintenance.
A pack of notes is included in the course fee.
Practical Sessions include basic boat handling, coming alongside and man overboard drills.
After your course you will need to wait up to two weeks for your examination date.
On your successful completion of your exam from MCAST, you can present your stamped certificate at Transport Malta along with two passport sized photos and €23.23 and should receive your licence at your preferred address. (approx. in a week.)
Transport Malta offices Lija https://news.transport.gov.mt/moorings-office-in-hal-lija/
You will need to take an additional course if:
- Your vessel is over 24 meters OR
- you would like to undertake an international crossing OR
- you require sail training