RYA MCA Yachtmaster™ Offshore Certificate of Competence™
Why would you need an RYA MCA Yachtmaster™ Offshore Certificate of Competence?
- This is one of the most saught after certificates in the yachting world – leisure and commercial
- It allows you skipper passages of up to 150Nm off shore by day and night
- The CoC may be commerically endorsed, increasing your employability
- Certificate required if you intend to progress to RYA MCA Yachtmaster™ Ocean and MCA Master 200GT (courses in November 2016).
What do you need?
- The necessary pre-requisite miles and theoretical knowledge (see below).
- To have a good grasp of the English language. This is an RYA course and all content, as well as your practical exam will be in English.
- To have confident boat handling skills. The familiarisation days shouldn’t be teaching you anything new but rather, givingyou confidence on the vessel you will be examined on.
- To study before you arrive. We will recap tidal calculations and standard ports, basic meterology etc… but you should already know these things. We need all the time we can get to focus on secondary port calculations and other, more advanced theory topics
- Be willing to study every evening after the theory course (minimum).
Previous Knowledge & Experience required
Candidates wishing to apply for their Yachtmaster Offshore examination are requested to present their qualifying passages when registering for the course. The requirements for these passages are:
- Sea Miles: 50 days, 2500 miles including at least 5 passages over 60 miles acting as skipper for at least two of these passages and including two which have involved overnight passages. 5 days experience as skipper. Half the qualifying sea time (1250nm) must have been conducted in tidal waters.
Qualifying passages for Yachtmaster® Offshore should be non-stop by the shortest navigable route with no change of skipper. Passages such as recognised races which may not comply exactly with these requirements may be submitted to the RYA for approval before the voyage.
Trainee skippers undertaking 60 mile passages are strongly advised to take a Coastal Skipper course first.
Canditates are also expected to have a certain level of theoretical knowledge.
- RYA Day Skipper Theory or equivalent knowledge: Candidates are expected to have all the required knowledge allowing them to make tidal calculations using standard ports, as well as a confident knowledge in IRPCS, basic meteorlogy, and chart work. Although some time is dedicated to revision of these topics, Yachtmaster Theory classes will focus on building on the knowledge you already have to move on to tidal calculations in secondary ports, among other things.
What do you get?
The RYA MCA Yachtmaster ™ Offshore Certificate of Competence is a widely sought-after Certificate of Competence whose world-wide recognition makes it the ultimate aim of most aspiring skippers. This certificate is jointly issued by the RYA and the Marine and Coastguard Agency, UK and entitles the holder to skipper passages of up to 150Nm from a safe haven.
The certificate is steadily becoming the go-to standard for employers looking for staff to work on board motor and sailing yachts the world round – to this end the CoC may be commercially endorsed.
While the RYA Day Skipper and Coastal Skipper certificates are beneficial to anyone aiming to gain their YMO CoC, you need not take any formal training prior to the exam but should have undertaken sufficient sea time and miles in order to sit for your Yachtmaster™ exam. These miles should ensure that you have enough experience, including sailing in tidal waters to prepare for your exam under the guidance of our training centre.
You may chose to prepare for your Yachtmaster™ exam in a number of different ways. Malta Sailing Academy offers the below modules and ancillary courses which may help you in preparation for your exam. We will be there to guide and prepare each and every student to the best of their ability to ensure that they are 100% prepared for the RYA MCA Yachtmaster™ Offshore.
Yachtmaster Offshore Basic Package
Ancillary Courses for the Award of Certificate of Competence
Ancillary Courses Required for the Award of a Commercially Endorsed CoC
Disclaimer: Please leave at least one day in between the end of the courses/examinations and your departure as we may have to reschedule some exams due to inclement weather conditions.