RYA Day Skipper Theory
A theoretical course for those who would like to increase their navigational knowledge – this course is an optional foundation which excellently complements the RYA Day Skipper Practical course but is also incredibly useful to Competent Crew students.
This is a comprehensive introduction to cruising for inexperienced skippers which aims to equip you with enough knowledge to navigate familiar waters by day. You will also be introduced to lights to provide a basic knowledge of cruising by night. The course ends in two exam papers covering all topics in the Day Skipper course.
The 40 hour course is usually run over a five day period unless stated otherwise.
Course topics include:
- the basics of seamanship
- the essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- electronic charts
- position fixing
- plotting a course to steer
- weather forecasting and meteorology
- collision regulations
- construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- emergency and safety procedures